Monday, October 18, 2010

The Mom Chronicles: Leaving the Nest (8/30/10)

The Mom Chronicles: Leaving the Nest


Hi, Moms! Well, its finally here. The week we have both looked forward to and dreaded all summer long: the week our kids return to, or in some cases, start school. I have seen a number of postings on Facebook this week in reference to how quiet some people's homes are and of various preparations of getting ready for school.

Well, this tradition has finally fallen upon the Peterson household. That's it, my Matthew is starting school. Granted its PRE-school, but it feels like it could be college! As I drove him past his new school last week I felt myself choking up, the tears welling up in my eyes, and the dread in my gut as I invisioned sending him off on his first day later this week. Granted preparations started a long time ago. We got his new glasses this summer and have been working with him on his language development. I got him a brand new light-up Spider Man backpack (only because I couldn't find any firetruck ones!) and the traditional new socks and underwear. He is stocked up on new clothes for the fall and has been practicing writing his name, which thus far consists of just two "t"s. We've talked about it, read books about it, planned for it. But now that its finally here, I don't know if I am ready!

I am worried for him in that big school. I am worried he will feel overwhelmed or be teased by other kids for his glasses or language or just not fit in somehow. I want him to like school. To be excited for it. Only, I wish I could do it in the safe coccoon of my own home where I can protect him and make sure he doesn't fall victim to the hurts brought on by others. Deep down, though, I know that's not the best thing, for either of us.

So as I prepare to walk him through those doors this Friday there have been a number of things I have done to prepare myself. My favorite of them being picking up the book "The Kissing Hand". For those of you who haven't heard of it and are sending your kids off for the first time- buy it! Check it out at the library! Whatever! It will make you glad you did!

The book is about an old tradition in a Raccoon family. The little boy raccoon in the story is starting school for the first time and to ease his tension and resistence the mother raccoon shares the tradition that her mother and her mother's mother had passed on to their children. She has him open up his left hand (or, paw, I guess) and kisses it and tells him to put it to his cheek. In doing so he can feel the warmth of the kiss and his mom's love run deep with in him. The magic part is that the kiss can't wash off, so even when he washes his hands, or does what little boys do, it can't come off. That way whenever he is lonely or misses his mom or just needs his mom's love, he has it right on the palm of his hand. In addition to being a tear jerker, the story is fabulous.

And so my son and I have partaken in this ritual and he returned the favor by kissing my hand. That way whenever I miss him I, too, can put my hand to my face and feel his love and warmth for me and know he is safe.

It may not be the same as having him here by my side, or me by his side, but it's been a great thing for us.

So what are you and your kids doing as you say your send offs this week? Do you have any traditions that will keep you close? Matthew will undoubtably have to undergo the first day of school pictures (which he doesn't know to dread yet!) and this mom will have a box of Kleenex in the car for after that first drop off, but I intend to be brave for him as he embarks on this new adventure.

No matter what your sendoff traditions are, I hope this first week is a great one for you and your families! Whether you are sending your kids off to preschool, junior high or college, the challenge is the same. We are sending our kids off in to someone else's hands and in doing so putting our faith and trust in those people to be there for our kids, to help and guide our kids, while they are there. This can be very hard, but it also makes our time together that much more valuable.

So my moms, I hope this week's sendoffs have gone well. Enjoy the peace and quiet that has fallen upon your homes, and take some time to care for yourself in this time of transition. It's not just about the kids, it's about you, too.

Finally, on a different note, be sure to tune in next week as the Chronicle Mom has a special announcement to share with all of you. You've been on this journey with me the past year as I have gone through the ups and downs in life and have been so fortunate to have this place to come and share those things with, hopefully helping some of you in the process. And so it seems only fitting that you embark on this next journey with me as well. I look forward to it with joy and fear and anticipation and so many other things. But that's for next week. So stay tuned!

And until next time, have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment