Monday, October 18, 2010

The Mom Chronicles: Fall Preview (9/20/10)

The Mom Chronicles: Fall Preview


Welcome back. I am going to forego my usual welcome to just moms as it's been brought to my attention there are some non-mom readers out there and so to you,too I also extend this welcome.

Well, I am pleased to say that this rendition on the Chronicles is going to be a good old fashion one. It seems lately I've been writing about all the fires I have had to put out. Now that many of them are smoldering, I find myself in need of a return to basics. A return to what makes this column a place you want to come each week. Additionally, it's a bit of a fall preview. There are a number of hot topics I am just itching to cover and so I want to enlighten you on a few of them as well.

First though, an update on the kids. I find myself being as busy as a soccer mom these days, only, with out the soccer. Matthew is now in preschool three days a week. He is doing well. Additionally he has started his weekly speech therapy in the cities. While currently we are working with the school district to reassess him for services locally (fingers crossed!) we are still making the ventures northbound. As of late he has been intrugued by my Halloween decorations (Yes, they are up. I am one of those people.) and my baking adventures which have gained me the title of best mom ever. Got that, moms? He says I am the best. I must laugh. For if he only knew what lied within so many of you other moms out there, surely the title would get placed elsewhere! What has got me the title though, is my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and my apple bars. Mostly the cookies. He says they are better then the bakery. I think he is lying. He does love those visits in the mornings to Emily's. Personally, I think his dad has just gotten to him and is coaxing him in to buttering me up so I continue to make them. I think it's working.

As for Miss Ella, her language is blooming and she is talking up a storm. It's been great fun to hear. Coming out is also some of her terrific two attitudes. You know the ones. The ones of "Mine!" and "I want to do it myself!". Yes indeed, we have a strong minded little girl on our hands but fortuntaly, she's a strong minded little girl who loves to get dressed up so I have gotten to dress her in a whole bunch of fall gettups that are beyond adorable. She is starting back up with the therapy in the cities as well, so the running continues.

As for me I am still in school, just down to one class. I have really needed it for me, and so I continue. I almost quit. As the past weeks got harder and harder, I almost threw in the towel, but I am still here. I will perservere. And so on my journey I continue.

Now that you are all well and updated, let's talk what's coming to the Mom Chronicles in the future. Well, as was the case in the summer, safety is an ongoing topic and there are more safety related topics I will be covering. Strangers is something we are working on in my house. Here's a good story. Matty had decided while playing outside he had to go to the bathroom and didn't want to come all the way in the house. Well, he got busted by some neighbors relieving himself in the front bushes. They tried to get him directed to his home, as he got his pants wet, but he just hid and wouldn't go with them. They thought he was worried he was in trouble. No indeed! When they came to my door and I coaxed him out, he was actually hiding from them as "they were strangers, mom!" No running away or screaming as he had been instructed, but he did hide and refused to come with them, even to his own house door, so for that I am proud. So definitely talking to your kids about strangers.

Other topics will include helping you children through times of significant change or transition, how to help your kids deal with rejection, and my now favorite, how to talk to your kids about where babies come from. It was inevitable. We are to this dreadful topic and we, you and I, will embark on it together. This will be interesting.

This was prompted, again by my son, soon after I miscarried. As I was getting him ready for bed one night, he said, "Mom, did you loose the baby?" To which I replied that yes, as we had talked about I had. To that he replied, "Don't be sad, mom. Jonah (the neighbor boy) said the next time dad is home he can help you get a new baby! Maybe he will bring it in his truck! Maybe dad will grow it in his truck so you don't have to grow it in your belly and then it can ride with him to all the Walmart stores and be nice and warm. Does that sound good mom?" To this I simply offer the cop out, "We'll see." Coward! Coward I tell you! As soon as I heard those words that dad would help me get another baby I thought oh, no. Here we go! Fortunately, he didn't know all about the birds and bees, but he is to an age where the stork won't exactly explain it either. So I will be doing some exploring on the topic and I will share that with you.

In the mean time, I hope you are enjoying these fall days. It's that fabulous time of year for orchards, and apple picking, pumpkin patches and bonfires. If you are looking for a group to go with I did see Community Ed is offering several adventures.

Finally, the Mom Chronicles has a new blog! Check it out. It is now under the Star Gazette webpage under the "Area Voices". I am working this week to load all my past columns to it and hope it will be a great place for you to interact with me and share your ideas, comments and suggestions. I am looking forward to the new page and hope you will take time to check it out.

Until then, have a safe and enjoyable week!

No comments:

Post a Comment