Thursday, December 3, 2009

December 3rd Column

The Mom Chronicles: 1st Annual Lights and Display Contest




Welcome back from your turkey induced comas. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving with your families! Ours was wonderfully uneventful. We spent it with my mom's side of the family, where we ate lots, of course, and while the competitive and cheating side of the family played 500 (the card game), the rest of us lower key folks played a couple games of Skip-Bo. It's a game I learned to play as a young girl from my grandma, and still enjoy to this day. While there was no black-Friday shopping in the Peterson household due to lack of funds and not enough courage to take two little kids out in those kinds of crowds, we did spend time out driving around checking out the Christmas lights. My son especially enjoyed the Nativity scenes, as while to some of them he said,"Look mom! There is baby Jesus!", remembering the Baby Jesus doll he made at Sunday School, and to others he exclaimed, "Look ,Mommy! Baby Sam!" That made my heart smile, while at the same time drawing a tear.I am deeply proud that my son recognizes baby Jesus in the Manger, and chilled by the irony of his drawing comparison of our baby Sam that we lost and the baby Jesus. She does, after all, now live with Him.

The foremost has showed me that it is possible, to teach both the TRUE meaning of Christmas, while enjoing the secular versions as well. As a mother of young children who happened to have been a child once herself, I frequently wondered how to draw that balance. I do not want to raise greedy children, who just think of Santa Clause and loads of toys when Christmas is mentioned. No Instead I want them to have a deep knowledge of why we celebrate the holiday and what it means to our family as Christians. That means recognizing things like the Baby Jesus, Nativy scene and songs like "Silent Night", in additon to "Ho Ho" lights, blown up lawn ornaments, and "Santa Clause is coming to town". I hope as they get older, my kids will continue to recognize and remember these things and they will continue to be parts of our traditions. For me growing up, the Christmas Eve Service at church was just a large of an event as the gift opening itself. Perhaps this was because my grandfather is a pastor, or perhaps it was just our family's values, Whatever the case, I was raised with the abiliy to balance those deep rooted beliefs, with the belief and hope in Santa Clause, who represented someting so ironically similar. And while I don't feel that it is my place to tell you what to believe in and teach your kids this year, I do hope that whatever it is expands beyond what gits they receieve under the tree. It could be as simple as allowing your child to put a few dollars or loose change in to the bell ringer's kettles, or choosing a gift or two to donate to a charity, or even by adopting another family for Christmas. At the holiday season, your options are endless. On a tighter budget? Bake some cookies and deliver them to an elderly or sick neighbor, or when the snow flies (which will hopefully be soon), shovel for someone, or organize a carroling expedition Whatever you do, find ways to create your own holiday memories and traditions, that include things or meanings that run deeper than presents or toys or tangable things. I promise, it will leave you all feeling a little merrier, a little jollier, a little more bright.

Speaking of bright. Mom Chronicle Challenge! All our driving around looking at lights has inspired me to hold a Lights and Display Contest! Between now and December 20th I will be driving around Hastings checking out all the neighborhood lights and displays looking for the best dislays.My kids and I will choose the best single house, as well as the best overall neighborhood. Want to be considered? Send me an email at: amyellamatthew@gmail.com with the subject of "Lights and Display Contest". While I have been getting around town with the kids, if you have a special display, please send me your address so I can be sure not to miss is and check it out Each week in my column until then, I will include addresses of some I have enjoyed during the previous week. Happy lighting, and Good Luck!

Here are a few I have ejoyed this week (Take note- these are mostly on the West Side of 61, as they are closer to my house. I will check out the East side for next week.)

1.Neighborhood: The culvasac of Ridgewood Ct and Pleasant (a few blocks behind the Library).

2.Neigborhood: Homes on the east side of Tuttle Drive and Shannon Dr (Several day cares in this neighborhood.That equals lots of lights!)

3.Neighborhood: W3rd st between State street, also between Pine and River on West 3rd ***A couple of these are the greatest homes right now, too!**

4. West 8th street along Hwy 55

5. Homes starting a S. Park Drive and Hackberry, and continuing along S. Park Drive

6.Home near W14th and Pine

7. Homes along Oak and W 16th, as well as W19t to W20th

8. Several Homes along W 18th St starting at Hwy 61

9. Homes along W33rd and Lester

10. W 31st and Hwy Knoll



Hope you will take time to check these neighborhoods out. Let me know your favorites! No lights of your own? Maybe driving around to see these will inspire you! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment