Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Mom Chronicles: This and That (5/20)

The Mom Chronicles: This and That


Welcome Back, moms! I feel as if its been an eternity since I was here! I am gone one week and it feels as if I've been gone for years.

Well first, I would like to thank all of you who have stopped me to comment on the Mother's Day column I wrote. I really appreciated your feedback. I feel very priveledged that I get to come here each week and be a part of your lives. And remember, the only reason I am able to do that is because I am one of you, too. I appreciate the kind compliments on my column and hope you know that I come here each week not because of the compliments I may generate, but because I have been given an opportunity to be here for each of you in a very unique way. I am very greatful for that.

So where have I been? Well, I guess you could say taking care of some business. I regret to confess that I had to readmit myself to the hospital for further treatment for my depression. I guess you could say it is much easier to give the cheerleading and hope then to take it. It was very, very hard for me to be away from my kids, especially over Mother's Day, and while I got to see them for a short time that day, it just wasn't the same. But I must remind myself of what I remind you all of all the time, we can't take care of our kids unless we first take care of ourselves. Unfortunately my stay was cut short due to lack of care for my kids, but I hope the weeks ahead will give me further opportunities to get some of the help I have needed for a very long time.

Also detaining me a bit was my commitment to school. I am proud to report that I am one exam away from being a licensed, Nationally Registered EMT. I managed to get an A in my class and to complete the class at the top. I passed both of my "Rediness" exams to prepare me for the official license tests I need to take, and have since passed one of the required two. I had my practical exam this past Saturday which tested me on my skills I am required to be able to know and perform. I am now just waiting for my green light to take my written exam. I am very proud of this accomplishment and hope in the very near future I can serve you, the residents of Hastings, in a more "official" form hopefully in the form of a position with the Hastings Fire Dept. Unfortunately a hiring freeze has them a bit stuck at the moment, but believe you me I am all about pursuing that role as soon as it presents itself. I have been very verbal in the past in how highly I view the dept and the people that work for it, and they were the inspiration behind my completing this course and now pursing further classes to go one step further and become a paramedic. We are very lucky to live in a community that has such a great group of people serving us and I hope you will take the time to thank them when you see them around or stop by the station with your kids some time to give a wave of appreciation. So, one test to go. Wish me luck.

And now, while all that catching up doesn't leave me much space for a whole lot more this week, I do want to make mention of something I learned the past couple weeks. I guess you could say I didn't really learn it, but was reminded of it.

Moms protect your kids. Please remember you are your kids best advocates. You know who they are, what makes them tick, what they need. Your kids rely on you to be there for them, to protect them, to keep them safe. Others, even their fathers in some situations, can not necessarily be trusted to do the same. At all times and in all circumstances, you must be there for your kids. Sometimes yes, this means putting your own most important needs aside. It can be hard. It can feel challenging. And when others don't see things the same way it can feel darn near impossible. But that is one thing I have had to do the past couple weeks and I consider it my most important job. Others will not always make decisions that are the best for your kids. They will not always be able to see all that your kids are or do or have been through. As moms you are in that unique role. So stand up for them. Advocate for them. Be that mamma bear we have talked about in the past and don't let them be put in harms way. That's my salt box for this week. I say it only because it is so near and dear to me and so very fitting in my own life at this time.

Well, to you all a beautiful, warm, sunny week. Life may not always be or feel or present itself that way, but at least for this week, I am going to step outside at least one day and put my face to the sun and feel its warmth beam on my cheeks. It can't solve life, but it certainly can't hurt.

See you next week. And again, thanks for your comments on the column. They are stored away in a very special place in my heart that I carry with me through all my days. To steal one of my favorite people's lines- you are good eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment