Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hang on and Enjoy the Ride~!

Hi, Moms!~ Happy New Year! Here is my column from last week's paper. Enjoy! I hope you all had a great Christmas and that your New Year is off to a great start! I look forward to all that this year holds!
Amy


The Mom Chronicles: Enjoy the Ride 
 
"Hold your breath and enjoy the ride!" This was the advice of one of the TV announcers last week during Monday night football as we fans got ready to watch the over time segment of the all important Vikings and Bears game. The outcome? As we all know, the Vikes choked. However the announcers comment prior to the toss to start the over time period got me thinking. Kind of a catchy phrase, I thought. And as I pondered it further a light went off. Aha! Could this be the theme for my 2010?
 
Well, before I start talking 2010 I'd like to wrap up 2009 by saying that I hope all of you had a beautiful Christmas with your families. If you were like us, plans had to be somewhat rearranged due to the weather, but I don't believe it was a bad thing. The Christmas day venture we had planned to my parent's home up north was post poned until Sunday, so the kids, myself and my husband who was able to come for the day, were able to spend a rare quiet day together. Well, not really quiet. Matthew found a child size drum set under the tree from Santa and that pretty well took care of the quiet part. So not so quiet, but nice. There was a moment when I thought it was going to be tainted by the ill intention of another, yes, even on Christmas Day, but we were able to let it go and enjoy the day. The snow storm meant Matthew and I were able to go outside and build a fabulous snow man, of which we dressed in play firefighter gear from Matthew's Halloween costume. While I hope the Hastings firefighters never have to see our firefighting snowman outside of a picture, as that would mean a misfortune in the fire form at our home, we were proud of our creation all the same. Now, if only his helmet would stop blowing off..  And of course the snow allowed for some late night sledding, just Matthew and I, and that was priceless. What was also priceless were my kids' reactions to the wonderful things from Hastings family service. Our family was taken care of so well. We were truly blessed.
 
Well, as I said, now that Christmas is over and we are embarking on a new year, it is time to consider those all important New Years Resolutions. I have decided that the announcer on Monday night football said it perfectly when he said "Hold your breath and enjoy the ride." This, my friends, I believe is going to be my theme for 2010. What it says to me is the acknowledgement of uncertainty and angst in the future, but that despite that, we can still enjoy "getting there", wherever there for us may be. It says that even if this year, God forbid, is as horrific as last year was for me, that there will still be good things littered amongst the bad to enjoy, and that SHOULD be enjoyed. Now, I could list all my resolutions about eating less and exercising more, and running this or being a better that, but I don't think they are all that different or impressive resolutions from any of yours. And so I will simply leave my resolution and encouragement to you for this new year as "Hold your breath, and enjoy the ride". It will not always be a fun, or easy or pleasant ride (as the Vikings loss was not), however there will be parts that deserve to be enjoyed, good parts, that if we spend too much time focusing on the bad, we will never notice. The outcome may not be as we hope or plan, but that doesn't mean it's not the outcome that was supposed to occur, or that we can't enjoy it anyways.
 
On a final note, I wanted to take a moment to address the exchanges of letters to the editor that took place due, in part, to my suggesting we have a holiday light contest. I was deeply saddened that something as bright and hopeful as lights, could evoke such negativity this holiday season. The suggestion of putting up lights was meant to bring people together, not to draw them apart, and it saddens me that was the case. It was, afterall, Christmas. As my mom says, "It's Christmas! Can't you all just get along!" I appreciate the concern that was expressed about people spending lavish amounts of money on holiday displays instead of giving to the needy, but as the street that decorates together every year proved, you can do both. My family put up lights on our deck. We are flat broke. I used lights from last year, and a three dollar lighted window Santa. It looks beautiful and enticed three of my neighbors in my building to do the same. Putting up lights is not a sign of putting money where it does not belong. As like I said when I suggested doing so, for us, it was something to do together, when things were really rotten. The light was a symbol of hope for my family, and driving around looking at other peoples lights brought us together. And even though people are putting up lights, there is certainly no shortage of giving in Hastings. My family saw that very clearly by the generosity of others through Hastings Family service upon us this year. My whole column last week was dedicated to recognizing that and sharing our gratitude. So while it really bothered me that the intent in encouraging others to put up lights was not seen, it was there, and I think that the folks on Ms Johnsons's street got that, and beautifully how giving and lights and gratitude truly are all intertwined. Is not putting up lights, afterall, a way of giving to your neighbors and community? So with that, there will be no best display, etc. If the intent was lost, it doesn't matter any ways. My hope is that next year when the lights come out, that they are not viewed as selfishness or lack of giving, but of something very different: Generosity. Hastings does that very well. And I hope that will come in the absence of needing to dispute that otherwise.
To all of you a safe and happy New Year. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment