Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Mom Chronicles: Returning to An Era - Going Back to School

The Mom Chronicles: The Return to an Era


This is a big week. This week marks a new beginning for me, or rather return to an era I almost forgot existed: the scholastic era. Like most, after high school I went on to college, embarking on goals and trying to achieve dreams previously set for myself. I did the juggle with school and money and life, and unfortunately, I never finished. Since that time I have judged myself harshly against my siblings as I remain the only one to not complete school. I know having a degree to hang on ones wall or initials to put behind ones name doesn't determine worth, but certain with out those I have felt somewhat incomplete. In addition, college is something very important to me and a value I hope to extend upon to my children, and that said, when the opportunity arose for me to go back, I siezed it.

Getting hurt at work and ultimately losing my job, while extrememly unfortunate, has provided me with the opportunity to do something different. I can no longer do the kind of work I used to do, and no job means some time on my hands to pursue something different, so I searched with in and determined as I have shared with you all that a career in Emergency Health Services is the direction I want to go. So, I enrolled in the EMT (Emergency Medical Technition) course at Inver Hills Community College, and will be pursing the associates degree as a Paramedic following it's completion. That means as of eight a.m. on Tuesday, I am a student once again.

So how am I feeling about this? Well, for starters I feel old. While on campus doing some last minute things last week a much younger student approached me and was like, "Um, are you like, a staff member or a student because they like, really need to salt this side walk better!" I was like, student! How old do I look? And yet to give the response of "student" was so odd. It's been a long time since I have been able to call myself that. Yet, it was kind of nice. As I walked to my car shaking my head, I thought, "Yes, student. That's right." And then quickly threw my new Inver Hills Sweatshirt on over my head to hopefully give myself a more youthful appearance, vowing not to be mistaken as a staff member again!

Being a new student has meant doing all the things new students do. I went shopping for school supplies like a backpack, pens, paper, highlighters, and the like. I stood somewhat directionless in the Target school supply aisle. It's been so long, I had to think about what I needed. Then there was the hundred and fourty bucks on books, and hundred and seventy bucks on my EMT pants, boots, EMT student shirts, and paramedic shirt required for the class. No one said school is cheap. After collecting all my things, I eagerly went home to prepare my back pack and try on my clothes. My husband teased about whether we need to take first day of school pictures or not. I begged to differ. Though I admit I did and do feel a sense of pride. My son does, too. "I proud you, Mommy!" He said. Me, too.

You see, it would have been very easy to throw away my dream of becoming a Paramedic. I could have said I was too old or too this or too that and not gone back to school, but I am and it is sure to be a new adventure. I don't know if I am ready for homework and clinicals while juggling single mom hood, but I am up for the challenge. You see, I want to make my kids proud. I want them to see if you put your mind to it you can do anything. I want them to see me sworn in some day as an EMT or Paramedic on a firedepartment (hopefully ours!) and be able to be like, "That's our mom!" I can't wait for that day!

In the mean time, think of me as I once again walk those halls, and write those papers, and study for those tests, and do all that it entails to be a student once again. I may not be one of the young ones on campus, but I will most certainly be one of the most driven ones. They must think so, too, as I was even given a scholarship to attend. So wish me luck. I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment