Friday, September 4, 2009

Fan mail

Well, writing a column like this obviously evokes opinions, mostly positive, thankfully. And I would like to say thank you to the person who called the paper today and voiced appreciation for my "Sam" column. That meant a lot. I am so glad it was a help to you. That was, afterall, what it was meant to do. I am so sorry you were able to relate, but glad you found something in reading it.
To the reader that sent me the letter regarding my divorce, I have some feedback for you as well. I am horribly sorry for the loss of your husband, and I can imagine sixty some odd years is indeed a very long time for you to be married to someone. All that I can offer in response to your letter, is that there are many aspects of my husband and I's marriage that I won't "air" in the public light of a column, and they are the reasons for the decision, not just where he lives. I am not in any way an advocate for divorce, rather someone who was raised in a very religous household and doesn't take marriage lightly. Moreover, i didn't enter in to my marriage to get divorced. I hope you will know that it took me so very long to reach this decision, and that is all one can do.. Make a decision and hope for the best. Ther is no other "someone" waiting in the wings, just me. Yes, the adjustment on the kids is hard, but no harder than them watching us bicker and be at odds the last 2 years. Thanks for your comments and concerns, as well as for praying for me and my decision. I pray each day that I do what is right, and that is the best I can do.
Do you have any feedback on the column? Please share it if you do. It has been a delight hearing your stories and getting stopped various places by moms who can relate. It's funny, we get recognized around town now. Sometimes that's scary, but overall, I think it is ok. Writing a column like this has a tremendous amount of rewards. Everyone will not always agree with what you say or do, as the gal who simply signed her letter as someone who has a lot of experience did, but over all, it isn't about disagreeing over views, its about coming together to support one another as single moms doing the very best we can.
To that, have a great weekend! See you next week.
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment